Top Tips for Keeping Your Drains Clean
One of the responsibilities that comes with being a Columbus homeowner is calling on a plumber when your drains become clogged. There is nothing to be ashamed of; this is certainly one of those tasks that is a common occurrence in every household, no matter how clean. You can, however, cut down on the likelihood of needing this type of professional service work by following a few key steps.
However, just as important is the need to remember not to use store-bought chemical drain cleaners. Getting rid of clogs is not a DIY task because those harsh cleaning agents can do more harm than good for your pipes and plumbing. Not to mention, it usually only addresses the problem short term.
Getting Proactive About Drain Cleaning
Obviously it helps if you can find out what your leading cause of reoccurring clogs is because you can deal with the matter accordingly. However, for general drain problems, here are some tips to help:
- Deal with Grease – One of the biggest problems with drain is grease. It is important to dispose of all grease in a manner, other than pouring it down the drain. Collect the grease in an old coffee can or some other container for proper disposal.
- Run Hot Water – While hot water does not fix clogs, it can help prevent them from forming in the first place. A weekly flush of pure hot water can help prevent the buildup of clogs, especially grease.
- Use Strainers – Use your sink strainers to capture food particles. Too often, the main problems with slow or clogged drains is that food has escaped down the drain even though you have a strainer available to use.
- Careful With the Garbage Disposal – Having a garbage disposal does not mean that you need to use it constantly. In fact, the more that you can rely on the trashcan and use the disposal as backup the better.
- Watch for Hair – Aside from grease, hair is the other main culprit for serious drain problems. Make it a point to clean hair from the drain or strainer after every shower, bath or pet washing.
Know the Name to Trust
Of course, getting regular drain cleaning from a professional also helps. Drains N Pipes is the only name that you need to know for drain cleaning and for rectifying slow or clogged drains. We can also offer you the advice that you need to know in order to help keep your plumbing running, as smoothly as possible.